There are things in life we all need to do well in my opinion. For most people, some of these points will be more important than others. Some people will think this list is absurd. But this is my list… the top 10 things I believe are important to be able to do well. In no particular order.
10. Know how to fish. I think you should know how to catch a fish, clean it and cook it. What if you need to feed yourself or your family someday…? Plus it’s super relaxing.
9. Know how to whistle really loud with your fingers (or no fingers, but still really loud). I seriously can’t tell you how many times in my life I’ve NEEDED to be really loud to catch someones attention, or make myself known, or call a dog.
8. Know how to genuinely complement people. Oh… this is good stuff. The world will open up to you if you can master this.
7. Know when to quit. Some people say never quit… I say know when to quit. All this hoopla about setting your eyes on the goal and never quitting is garbage. You will need to quit some stuff, and readjust and change things. Know when to quit.
6. Know how to punch real hard. Seriously, it may come in handy someday. Practice by playing “Shot for Shot” with your friends. Choose a good spot to hit each other like the shoulder. You hit him, he hit’s you until someone gives. The person who gives is weaker.
5. Know what to keep and what to throw out. Stop keeping everything… it adds stress to your life.
4. Know how to make bread. I don’t think bread is very good for you, but if it ever boiled down to bread or nothing, I’ll take bread. Plus, if you do eat bread, it’s cheaper, and better for you if you make it yourself.
3. Know how to change a flat tire. More important than you know…
2. Know how to tie a bowline, figure eight, and a slip knot. These are the three knots you must know if you want to strap something down, tie something up, make a spear, or say you know more knots than your brother in law.
1. Know how to control your emotions. We let life get the best of us, but we own this life… learning to be in control of ourselves means we are better prepared for life. It also means, we can treat other people around us better by not allowing ourselves to be constantly in reaction mode. Control. Get thee some.
BONUS! You also need to to Know when to hold ’em, know when to fold ‘em, know when to walk away, and know when to run!